Monday, July 10, 2006

Retirement

Recently, while cleaning my fishing rods, I found that one of my rod had a hairline crack.

:::... Shakespeare "Connoisseur" ...:::

Technical Specifications
Shakespeare “Connoisseur”
Model : SC 662
Action : Medium Light, Fast Action
Line Weight : 8 – 15 lb
Length : 6’6” (2 pieces)

:::... Krazie Fishie's Shakespeare Connoisseur ...:::

This particular rod hold many fond memories for me. This was my first rod. I still remember the day I purchased this rod.

I was fresh out of college and had just started my first job. When I got my first paycheck, I called up my cousin and headed off to the nearest tackle shop to purchase a new rod and reel.

After going thru the numerous racks of rods that were on display, this particular rod caught my eyes. I decided to purchase this rod and paired it with an Abu Garcia Cardinal 302. This was way back in early 2003.

Fast forward to the present time... I was cleaning my rods and I found a hairline crack. At first I thought that it was just a scratch on the rod.

:::... Not so visible crack ...:::

Upon closer inspection, the scratch was more visible. It didn't look like a scratch at all. It was a crack. When pressure is applied to the rod, the crack is visible.

:::... The crack is clearly visible when pressure is applied to the rod ...:::

After all the memories that the rod has given me, I think it is only appropriate that I retire this rod from active service. From now on, I will be proudly displayed in my room, among the other fishing tackle. This rod has had its fair share of ups and downs. At least it did not break. If it would have broke, I would have been very dissapointed. At least in its current state, it still looks majestic and stands tall.

.....REST IN PEACE.....

No comments: