Saturday, June 09, 2007

Penyabong Trip 2 - 3 June 2007 - Catch Report

The trip began on 1 June 2007 at 10.00pm for Navin and myself. We had met up at Fisherman's Wharf in Taman Desa for a drink before meeting up with the rest of the guys. We were supposed to meet up with the rest at around 11.00pm but they we delayed and we only started to move from Kuala Lumpur at around 12.00am.

The journey there took about 4.5 hours. We convoyed in two cars and both the cars were driven well below the permitted speed limit. It was a dark night and we wanted to avoid any untoward incidents on the way to Penyabong.

:::... Location of Penyabong, Johor ...:::

:::... Route map to Penyabong, Johor ...:::

We arrived at Endau Town at around 4.30am. The town was still asleep and not a single shop was open and the streets were empty. We decided to take a short nap in the car while waiting for the shops to open for our breakfast.

We woke up at about 7.00am and then proceeded to one of the coffeeshop that was in the vicinity. The town was a sleepy town... Very little traffic with a lot of old people. Guess all the youngsters are still asleep or had left town to seek for greener pastures elsewhere. After breakfast, we all then proceeded to head for the wet market to buy some fresh bait. We managed to get some sotong and fresh kembung fish to be used as bait for our fishing later.

:::... Endau Town at daybreak ...:::

:::... Quiet and street peppered with old shophouses ...:::

After obtaining our bait, we made our way to the jetty in Kg. Penyabong where we will be boarding our boat for the trip. The sight that greeted us was awsome... Crystal clear water, clean beach and very calm sea. Nothing like what had imagined what the place would look like.

:::... Clean beach and beautiful scenery ...:::

:::... Very calm sea and beach free from any debris ...:::

:::... Beach clean enough for a quick dip ...:::

:::... View of the jetty from the boat ...:::

The initial plan was for us to board the boat at 9.00 am. With that in mind, we quickly unloaded our stuffs from the car. Imagine our dissapointment when we found out the boat was not around. After a few frantic phone calls to the boatman, we found out that the boatman had gone out the previous day and was only due back to the jetty at 12.00 pm. What a bummer... We had left KL early to make it to the jetty by 9.00 am and to be greeted by this kind of news is a real damper. We had looked forward for this trip with great anticipation and to be greeted with this news is such a mood buster. We then spent the next three hour loitering around the jetty and looked at other groups that were leaving with much envy.

After what felt like a lifetime to us, the boat finally arrived at 12.00 noon. We wasted no time in boarding the boat and was soon on our way to the first fishing spot. Along the way, I had the rare opportunity to have a close encounter with some sailfish. There was about 3 -4 fishes which were swimming and judging from the size of the fin, they seem to be quite large. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera on me and I was busy tying my rig so I was unable to get any photo of them. Within a split second, they were gone...

:::... Me with the Great Maniam on the boat ...:::

:::... Navin all ready to do battle ...:::

The first spot that we went, we did some appolo jigging. According to the boatman, we could get some baitfish from this spot. The baitfish was not the usual selar or tamban fish, instead it was the ikan kunyit. The size of the ikan kunyit was not too big... If I were a fish, I could glp it down in one bite. It was quite small.

After gathering enough baitfish, we proceeded to our second spot. the boatman asked us to use prawn as bait as we were expected to get parrot fish at the location. True enough, Navin got the first strike at the that location. It was a small parrot fish. Nod bad for a start.

:::... The first parrot fish by Navin ...:::

:::... Another parrot fish by Navin ...:::

:::... My first grouper (kerapu) ...:::

Navin had a few strikes after that, but unfortunately, some of it could not be landed. I too had a few strikes but was unable to get a solid hookup. In the end, I was rewarded with a small grouper. This grouper was bluish in colour, not the normal brownish coloured grouper that is normally caught.

When the bites became slower, we moved on to a different spot. At this spot, the fish was more obliging to take the bait. I was rewarded with a double hookup of grouper and Navin managed to land a bigger specimen of the parrot fish, as well as one grouper and one sweetlips (kaci). The boatman was also fishing at the same location, as he was hauling up one grouper after the other. Guess the boatman had more luck that the both of us combined. There was an incident that happened during that time, and I will post a report on that later. This has got to do with the attitude of the boatman and his assistants.

:::... Double hookup of grouper by myself ...:::

:::... Anyone care to identify this small fella ...:::

:::... Navin with his grouper ...:::

:::... Navin with his sweetlips (kaci) ...:::

That night, there wasn't much action from everbody. No fish were caught that nite. In the end, all of us ended up sleeping on the boat.

The next day, the sun was blazing like there was no tommorow. I was badly burnt and and I am still suffering from a bad sunburn. The fishing on the second day was very very slow. The water condition is was the tekong would call an air mati situation. The current was barely moving that day. The highlight from the second day, was the landing of a 3kg cobia (haruan tasik) and a 6kg spanish mackerel (tengirri). Both fish were landed by Maniam. A few trips that I had joined him, he seems to be landing all the biggie. Guess he has lady luck riding on his shoulder all the time.

:::... Look at the bent rod ...:::

:::... I can see you now ...:::

:::... 3kg cobia (haruan tasik) ...:::

:::... 6 kg spanish mackerel (tengirri) prior to being gaffed ...:::

:::... Got you ...:::

:::... Maniam proudly posing with his 6 kg spanish mackerel (tengirri) ...:::

:::... The Great Maniam with both his catch ...:::

We arrived back at the jetty at around 1.30pm. After unloading our stuffs from the boat, we quickly left the place as Navin has a different appointment to keep. We left the place with mixed feeling. It was a great place to fish, but the attitude of the boatman was a major dissapointment for us. We wowed to be back in the near future, but with a different boatman this time.

:::... Majestic Sailfish of Rompin. Our next trip perhaps ...:::


Anonymous said...

Was going through your blog. Its Great site! Well Layed out.
Keep up the good work!

Tim Moody
Get a Free eBook on 78 Fishing Secrets! Only 47 copies left!

Zulhaimi Sabran (MBA) said...

Best. tempat lubuk org giler memancing.